My buddies hawk 250 one day stopped working, he is around 3500 miles. The hawk 250 turned on for a few minutes and then shut off. He was moving at this time and the hawk sat for almost 4 months before we had a chance to look at it.
We did the “quick” troubleshoot method lol. We swapped out the quick parts from my working hawk and he still didn’t have any spark. We watched some videos on checking stators and magneto switches and found it was bad. We got a new stator from therps.net website for $50 but now they have changed their prices and it costs more, not cool.
Here is the video we recorded while changing the stator out. It was fairly easy to remove the cover and get to the stator to replace it. You just need to make sure to take pictures of everything before you take it apart, its always good to be able to look at the picture and make sure you put it back together correctly. The mind can easily forget or confuse you lol.
Here are some pictures of the new stator we got and the old stator.
Getting the red hawk 250 ready for operation.
It’s very easy to get to the stator. You need to make sure to remove the small cover on the electric start. There is one more bolt behind the gears that are holding the stator cover in.
The below is the old stator. Make sure to take notes on how its installed and put the old stator and magneto switch back the same way. You want to make sure you don’t pinch the wires. Pay attention to how the stock one was set in there and do the same with the new stator and switch.
You will need to remove the wires from the plug before you will be able to remove the hawk 250 stator from the cover box. I used a flat head screwdriver to push the tabs and push the wire out. Remember to take a picture or write down the order the wires go into the plug. You need to make sure they are put back in the same order.
The red hawk 250 owner making sure she clean and everything looks good before we put the cover and new stator back on.
Once we got everything closed up. It took a while to get the hawk 250 started since it was sitting for a while. We replaced the gas, we cleaned the carb and put in a new spark plug but she still took a few kicks before she started. The battery was pretty much dead and we didn’t have a charger. I was kicking too fast and my leg slipped and hit the foot peg an this is the damage below. Excuse the white hairy legs lol.
This is a few days later. Looks really bad but it doesn’t hurt and by now its healed up more.
If you have any questions about this post, please feel free to contact me. I’m no expect mechanic but I will do my best to help you out if you have any questions on how I did it.
If you want to see all the hawk 250 upgrades I did on my bike, click here to read the post on the hawk 250 performance upgrades.